|“||They say that the best place to hide a letter is on the mantelpiece.||”|
Undercover is the ninth mission in Thief: The Dark Project and the twelfth mission in Thief Gold. Garrett enters the local Hammer Temple posing as a Hammerite Novice in order to retrieve the Talisman of Air (and in Thief: The Dark Project, the Talisman of Earth as well).
The Hammerites took the other half of the "keys" and keep the talismans of Air and Earth somewhere inside the city's temple. Since the place is crowded and active 24 hours a day Garrett decides to enter in disguise. His contacts get him the uniform and reference to enter as a novice. Novices are not allowed to speak while in temple and can move about the place almost freely. Plenty of sneaking is necessary to get into forbidden areas however. The temple is not a particularly large building. It has two main floors with barracks and other quarters, a chapel, garden and a cellar which connects to vaults that contain a number of tombs. The temple has a large population of Brothers and an alarm system. The challenge is first in finding where the talismans are then dealing with the elaborate security system that protects them.
- Posing as a Hammerite Novice, present your credentials to the guard at the gate, and enter the Hammerite Temple.
- Search the Temple and discover where the Talisman of Air (and Earth in TDP) is kept. When you find it, take it.
- Once you've achieved your other objectives, get out of the Temple and back to the city streets.
- Oh, and while you're looting the place, steal the Hammer's holy 'First Hammer' from their reliquary. (Hard\Expert)
- In addition to stealing the Talisman(s), steal 1500 worth of valuables while you're in the Temple. (Hard)
- In addition to stealing the Talisman(s), steal 2400 worth of valuables while you're in the Temple. (Expert)
- Don't kill any of the Hammerites while you're on the job. (Expert)
- 16 Broadhead Arrows
- 6 Water Arrows
- 1 Rope Arrow (only on Normal)
- 1 Gas Arrow
- 1 Flash Bomb
- a letter of introduction
- 5 Water Arrows
- 8 Moss Arrows
- 2 Fire Arrows
- 3 Noisemaker Arrows
- 2 Gas Arrows
- 1 Mine
- 1 Gas Mine
- 3 Healing Potions
Characters present in the MissionEdit
All characters in this mission are set to neutral at the beginning, and depending on your actions may turn hostile.
Thief: The Dark Project vs Thief GoldEdit
In The Dark Project both Air and Earth Talismans are located here. In Thief Gold, the Earth Talisman has been moved to its own separate mission, and Garrett is going to the Hammerite Temple only for the Air Talisman.
There is a total of 2758 loot in this mission where 2108 is in gold, 250 in gems and 400 in goods.
As Garrett mentions before starting the mission, the guards will be suspicious over certain behavior. Below are some notable things to keep in mind:
|Acceptable Behaviour||Unacceptable Behaviour|
|Running, jumping and climbing anywhere around the temple as long as it is not in a restricted area||Loitering in the barracks or being caught in any restricted area other than the exceptions listed below|
|Drawing a melee weapon||Brandishing a drawn weapon or nocking an arrow|
|Carrying around stolen loot and precious relics (even dropping and retrieving a stolen item in full view)||Stealing loot, keys, or relics where a Hammer can see it. Even finding that the items are missing will alert the guards|
|Stealing dishes and food||Pushing the alarm button or pulling any of the switches in the mission, including the front gate control|
|Killing a guard before the chapel altar (although it may drive the other one insane)||Being present when a body is found|
|Throwing junk around, destroying crates, or smashing doors||Cutting down banners|
|Being caught in the inquisitor's room||Waking the inquisitor|
|Injuring guards by flinging hammers at them||Blinding Hammers with a Flashbomb|
|Being caught in the treasury||Touching the treasury door|
- Note that the alarm is triggered by the removal of the Talisman(s).
- Before taking the Talisman(s), it might be a good idea to loosen the Hammer patrols by knocking out some of the guards. The basement and the catacombs are good for stashing their bodies.
- A tip from the shop that doesn't appear in the game (M10TIP1) indicates that the Hammerites were meant to respond to a drawn weapon, but this was never implemented.
- Some of the valuables are constantly under Hammer observation. They can be stolen after removing the guard watching them or on the way out when the alarms have set off.
- The inquisitor in the basement will wake up if he hears any loud noise. He is hostile no matter what Garrett is doing.
- Some guards cannot hear the alarm, and won't become hostile when it is triggered. These include the Hammerites in the chapel, the catacombs, and the one patrolling the basement (despite passing right next to an alarm light).