The Frogbeast first appears in TDP/TG as a part of The Trickster’s army. It is a small and agile frog-like creature with an upturned mouth. Upon encountering an enemy of the Maw, it races forward and explodes violently in a shower of blood and mess.
Frogbeasts communicate through a series of high-pitched croaks and squeals and can be identified by the characteristic squelch of their footsteps. They usually congregate in groups, but have been known to patrol alone.
In Thief 2Edit
After teaming up with Viktoria, Garrett is able to purchase eggs containing live frogbeasts. These are friendly toward him and will attack any enemy on sight, but otherwise, their behaviour is the same.
The Frogbeast makes various noises when hopping about, easily attracting the attention of anyone nearby. This alone makes it a good distraction tool, to say nothing of its explosion. It is very good for clearing crowded rooms and most effective against Combat Bots, which often miss completely or have their bombs ricochet back at them.
As an opponent, the frogbeast is very weak; easily destroyed with one strike. What makes it a danger is its tendency to explode anyway. The best strategy, therefore, is to attack from a safe distance.
This volatile nature can also be used to the player’s benefit. When in proximity to other opponents, the frogbeast can be used to impart severe damage to all nearby creatures, including other frogbeasts, with a single arrow.
- Sword - instant kill (not recommended)
- Blackjack - yes, instant kill if alerted (not recommended)
- Broadhead Arrow - instant kill, highly effective but easy to miss
- Gas Arrow/Gas Mine - easily dispatched, but still hazardous when in the line of fire
- Fire Arrow/Mine - highly effective, but often unnecessary
- Thief: The Dark Project/Thief Gold - "Escape!"
- Thief: The Dark Project/Thief Gold - "Strange Bedfellows"
- Thief: The Dark Project/Thief Gold - "Into The Maw Of Chaos"
- Thief II: The Metal Age - Any mission after "Trail of Blood”